[Februar 05, 2010]
Six Most Popular Explanatory and Bilingual Merriam-Webster’s Dictionaries for Android Phones
Paragon Software Group has launched the series of Merriam-Webster’s bilingual and explanatory dictionaries for Android phones. The product line includes Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary, Eleventh Edition; Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged; Merriam-Webster’s Medical Dictionary; Merriam-Webster’s Pocket; The Merriam-Webster Dictionary; Merriam-Webster's English-French Dictionary and Merriam-Webster's English-Spanish Dictionary. The original dictionary titles from America’s foremost publisher were adapted for the mobile screen and supplemented with the new functionality providing fastest definition look-up, audio pronunciations, finger-friendly interface, ‘Search by Voice’ option (enabled by Google), ‘Word of the Day’ widget and search option directly on the Home screen.
- Word search option on the Home screen. The dictionary can be used as a search source in the phone’s Global search feature, search results will be shown in the ‘Quick Search Box’ widget.
- Morphology module to look-up words in any grammatical form.
- Search by voice. Speak the word instead of typing it in the dictionary.
- English audio pronunciations recorded by native speakers.
- Fuzzy Search helps in case of misspelling. Just enter a wrong variant and get a list of similar words.
- Wildcard Search finds words even if the user does not know its exact spelling using “?” and “*” symbols to replace the missing.
- Integration with Flash Cards application to quiz the comprehension.
- Word of the day widget for the Home screen for daily word check. A random entry from the dictionary is changed daily.
- Dictionary installation on memory cards.
- Hyperlinks between related articles and directions.
- Search History feature shows the last 20 words looked up.
- No Internet connection required: simply download the dictionary to your device and use it with no further expense incurred.
More information about Merriam-Webster’s dictionaries for Android