Moscow/Freiburg – January 2013 - Paragon Software Group, the multi-platform developer of dictionary and reference applications, announced new quality of search methods in updated versions of its popular bilingual Slovoed dictionaries available for 30 world languages on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Android platforms.
In addition to five available word search methods, a new Full Text Search function allows the user to find the searched term in a matter of seconds not only from the entered query but also from all available translations and usage examples mentioned throughout the entire dictionary. The updated dictionaries quickly deliver comprehensive results that offer the user immediate access to all available content along with a thorough analysis of all findings. The dictionaries can perform search in different languages without the need for the word’s base form. For instance, by typing the word “taste,” the user will see not only the entries and links to the most relevant articles but also words such as “discriminating,” “educated,” and others that provide additional examples of phrases with the word “taste.” As a result, the translation becomes the most comprehensive and detailed possible.
"For foreign language communication, users need on-the-spot translation that go well beyond simple word search," said Alex Zudin, CEO of Paragon Software Group. "With its responsive and comprehensive translation capabilities, Paragon Software's latest Slovoed dictionaries offer users key new features that extend full text search results with examples and phrases they need to communicate more effectively."
Additional Full Text Search Benefits:
- When the user enters a query into the input field, Slovoed automatically builds a list of different entries through the entire dictionary that contain the query term.
- Slovoed finds precise word translations containing all usage examples.
- Because Full Text Search supports the Morphology module and ‘Did you mean…?’ functionality, Slovoed finds virtually all search queries regardless of misspelling or grammatical word form.
- Slovoed displays search results in both languages.
Enhanced Input Options
Along with more powerful search options, Slovoed now allows users to write words or phrases by hand without using a keyboard. This new handwriting recognition capability is enabled through the integration of Paragon’s proprietary handwriting recognition PenReader technology that supports all major world languages.
Android users can now translate directly from their mail, browser, and other applications using the “Share” button. With this feature, Android users can perform one-click translation by sending copied text directly to a dictionary for immediate translation.
The integrated Handy Converter application for iOS addresses users' needs for accurate and efficient translation of commercial correspondence and other communication while traveling.
Additional Translate and Input Features:
- Three integrated input methods make dictionary use more convenient than ever. Users can enter the word in their own handwriting with Paragon’s PenReader handwriting recognition software; search by voice using Google Voice recognition service (Available for OS 2.2 and higher); or take a picture of the text and translate it with Google Goggles.
- Copy-and-paste functions allow users to easily copy unknown words or phrases from an active application such as the web browser or email and have them automatically translated by switching back to Slovoed.
- FBReader now supports Slovoed dictionaries - providing the most convenient in-app translation from any book or document in EPUB, OEB, FB2 (.zip), mobipocket (mobi), RTF or plain-text format without the need to switch applications or access the Internet.
- Slovoed provides translations in a Quick Search Box alongside other search results.
Other benefits include:
- Instant search results as the user types.
- Translation of words in any grammatical form.
- List of similar words, replace the missing letters with "*" and "?".
- Find anagrams, for example, bat - tab.
- Examples of word pronunciation by native speakers.
- Flash card quizes.
- Hyperlinks between articles as in a browser.
- The history of translation.
- Favorite articles.
- Personal Settings.
- Full linguistic information with declension and conjugation tables.
- “Word of the Day” widget.
Compatibility: iOS 4.3 and above, Android OS 2.2 and higher.
Availability: The updated Slovoed dictionaries are available now for download at slovoed.com, iTunes, and Google Play at prices starting at $9.99.
iOS Apps: http://ax.search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/search?submit=edit&term=slovoed#software
Android Apps: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=slovoed