Merriam-Webster is America's foremost publisher of language-related reference works. The company publishes a diverse array of print products. Dictionary making at Merriam-Webster has always been an ongoing process. Even as the 1859 edition was being published, editorial work on a completely new edition was under way.
Merriam-Webster dictionaries for Android presents popular monolingual and bilingual dictionaries, including Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary, Eleventh Edition—America's best-selling desk dictionary—and Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged.
Merriam-Webster and Paragon—two industry leaders—have joined forces to produce the ultimate dictionary application for Android. Best-selling, authoritative reference meets state-of-the-art technology to provide instantaneous word power with a click.
What’s New: Easy copy-and-paste functions allow unknown words or phrases to be copied from an active application like the web browser or email to the clipboard, and automatically translated by switching back to dictionary. Translate all clipboard contents – whether one word or several words at a time!
Search and translate Features
- NEW! Full text search feature allows you to look up words more efficiently throughout the whole dictionary content, including headwords and usage examples.
- Three input methods make dictionary word look-ups more convenient than ever. Search by voice with Google Voice recognition service (Available for OS 2.2 and higher), take a picture of text and translate it with Google Goggles, or enter the word with your own handwriting using Paragon's PenReader handwriting recognition software.
- Easy copy-and-paste functions allow unknown words or phrases to be copied from an active application like the web browser or email to the clipboard, and automatically translated by switching back to dictionary.
- NEW! Translate unknown words or phrases from any application, includingweb browser or email, using the Share button. The feature allows you to send copied text to the dictionary directly and get the translation in one click! (Available for OS 4.0 and higher).
- List of similar words will result in case of misspelled look-ups.
- Wildcard Search if you are unsure of the exact word spelling. Use “?” and “*” symbols to replace the missing letters.
- English, French and Spanish morphology module helps to translate words in any grammatical form.
- NEW! Full linguistic information – with declension and conjugation tables – is included, making Merriam-Webster a must-have for any language scholar (for English, French and Spanish)!
- NEW! Search for anagrams (e. g. bat-tab).
- English, French and Spanish audio pronunciations recorded by native speakers.
- Word of the Day—a random dictionary definition daily.
- NEW! Improved interface design with easy-to-access navigation and search field makes dictionary use simple.
- NEW! Lightning-fast new engine allows dictionary entries to open as soon as you click with no delays.
- NEW! Favorites - to quickly access frequently searched words.
- NEW! Dictionary installation on SD card (Available for OS 2.2 and higher).
- Search History feature shows the last 100 words looked up.
- Enlarge or reduce font size for your comfort.
- No Internet connection required.
The number of translations in demo-version is limited. The more often you use the dictionary the more notifications about demo version you get. To save you time we’ve provided a new way of purchasing and registering Merriam-Webster dictionary for Android. Now you do not need to search for the product on the web, you can purchase it directly from your device. To do this, open Merriam-Webster dictionary and go to Menu->Registration->Buy.